Who are We?
We are an evangelical Anglican church, based in Rainham and Wennington in Essex, with two main worshipping centres: St Helen & St Giles is the Parish Church of Rainham, and St Mary & St Peter is the Parish Church of Wennington. Being located in the heart of both villages, we seek to be community minded and you’ll find us a friendly and welcoming family of people accessible to all generations.
Jesus got into Peter’s boat and said, ‘Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.’ (Luke 5:4). In the same way we are called to put out into the deep; in other words, to go, deep into the community. It is in the deep that fishing takes place. This is where, we believe God is at work and where He calls us to be; in every part of our community, to engage with different people groups, to build relationships with them, to be church among them and put people in touch with Jesus. This is where our Small Groups play an important part.
Our three communities (Rainham Church, Wennington Church and the Ship Centre) are like three harbours. In the same way as a boat is equipped, maintained and safely moored in the harbour, so too our communities, like the harbour, are where we are resourced, equipped, envisioned and from where we are sent out. It is in the context of our coming together as a worshipping community that this sending out takes place. Growing in maturity in our relationship with God, as disciples of Jesus Christ and being in fellowship with one another, expressing His love for the whole body, are very important if we are to be effective and fruitful in the mission He has called us to here in Rainham and Wennington.
Relationships are central in our identity as disciples of Jesus Christ. These come in two areas of our lives and are taken from Jesus’ own command to ‘Love the Lord Your God and love your neighbour as yourself’ (Luke 10:27). Having a relationship with God through Jesus is what underpins our relationships with one another and from where we build relationships with people groups from across the community and our values are based on this in the following way…
- We seek to develop a personal relationship with God as Father, through Jesus Christ His Son, empowered by His Holy Spirit. In this relationship we grow and mature as disciples.
- We believe in the authority of Scripture as the Word of God revealed to us in the person, work and teaching of Jesus Christ. It is His Word that transforms our lives, giving us guidance and direction, purpose and meaning – Our identity in who we are.
- We seek to be guided by the Holy Spirit in our mission, to be evangelistic in our approach and Kingdom centred in our initiatives. We want God to be at the centre of everything we do and to share with others.
- We seek to be a friendly, welcoming and caring church, where people can come and feel relaxed; a place of belonging.
- We seek to develop our prayer life and engage with God in a culturally appropriate and meaningful way. We encourage intimacy and encounter through corporate worship, Small Group fellowship and personal devotion.
- We seek to create opportunities for each person to feel part of the church, participating and contributing through a wide range of ministries. We encourage everyone to discover and use their gifts and talents.
- We seek to create opportunities for people to grow in faith by providing Bible-based teaching and training that is relevant and thoughtful, equipping members for everyday life.